Friday, April 14, 2006

Joke of Life

I sit here on a park bench,
watching a few couples make out,
They look around for the ANTI-LOVE mongers ,
They get back to business once they are sure there aren't any ,
They sit there like two sparrows cooing over their nests.
And then I look up, I smile .

In the hustle and bustle of the market,
I see the shopkeepers rant and rave about their ware,
And then I see a small little ragged boy look around,
He takes two mangoes from the cart,
And walks away unnoticed,
And then I look up, I smile.

With a cigarette in my hand,
I watch the buses come and go at the bus stop,
And old man at the stop looks down dejectedly at his watch,
" I missed 348E again, will have to take two buses home."
And then 348E arrives,
I look up , I smile.

I am intoxicated now,
There is a man on the other table,
He wails his story to the beautiful lady in front of him,
He sips her out, a few drops of whiskey that is,
Just then his wife comes in ,
They kiss and make up,
And I look up, I smile.

I reach home now,
Open my drawer, look at the beautiful cards she gave me .
I sink again into depresion,
. . . . All the good times we had before . . . .
. . . . I had to give her away . . . .
And then the door bell rings ,
Its my new neighbour asking me for some coffee.
And again , I LOOK UP , I SMILE.

No comments: